Monday, June 20, 2011

Bike Trip Food

I was so excited to post my pictures that I forgot to discuss what I ate on my bike trip. I did fine during the ride. We stopped for snacks along the way where I ate any one of these things: pepperoni roll (with fat free cheese and turkey pepperoni), fruit snacks, Fit & Active fruit leather bar, pretzels, and rice cakes. But, once the ride was over, I felt deserving of something more. The first day, after the 6 hours and 40 minutes of riding up the mountain, I ate a cheeseburger, fries, and cheese balls. Now, I don't regret eating this. It tasted amazing and I was famished. I enjoyed every single bite. But I realized that it was an exception and not what I could eat on a regular basis. After our ride back the following day, we stopped at an ice cream stand and I had a regular-size (it was pretty big - maybe 16 oz?) cake batter frosty. When I got home and put that into my tracker I was mortified to see it was a whopping 28 points. Holy shit. Now that one, that one made me cringe a bit. At least the cheeseburger dinner was filling in a hearty, savory way. This ice cream was just filling a desire that could have been fulfilled with a smaller portion size. But it's done and I'm moving on. On the next ride I might allow myself the cheeseburger, and maybe even the cheese balls (a favorite of mine, and they were hot pepper cheese balls to boot!), but I will opt for a salad instead of the fries.

And the ice cream. If I need it again, I will get a child's sundae or a small cone. Those are points I can live with. But I'm happy to report I let those meals stay in those moments and haven't gone off track since. I maintained control, which is a huge accomplishment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment