Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Gym Outfit

I packed for spinning class last night and was looking forward to taking the Tuesday class with a different, more challenging (so the rumor has it) instructor. I had a mandatory meeting in Pittsburgh from 3-5 and a report I had to edit before then, so I got up at 5:30 a.m. to make sure I would have enough time to fit everything in.

Sadly, the report was too time consuming and around 10 a.m. I gave up on the 11:05 spinning class. I had just gotten over my disappointment when 12:30 rolled around and I realized I was almost finished with the report. If I could get it done by 1 p.m., I could get to the gym to walk/jog for 20 minutes, get a shower, then head into the city just in time for my meeting. Perfect! I started getting all jittery and nervous, like you do when you’re doing something wrong or sneaky. I don’t really know why I felt that way. I guess it was the mid-day workout – it still makes me feel like I’m shirking my work responsibilities.

Anyway, on the way to the gym I realized that I only had my bike shoes with me. I was wearing comfortable black flats, so I decided I would just walk/jog in those. But then a few more things happened. Earlier that morning, while getting ready, I could only find one of my compression socks. It was early and I was running late, so I just put the one on and called it a day. Then came the dress socks. Here’s the thing: I hate throwing away socks (and bras and underwear). It’s just my thing. So this morning, I grabbed a pair of mismatched socks whose mates had been eaten by the laundry monster. One was black. The other was grey. I didn't realize until I got to the gym that I had forgotten to pack a pair of socks for my workout.

The gym pants I packed were green capris. So I had on capri pants, one compression sock, one black dress sock, one grey dress sock, and a pair of suede black dress shoes. I was lookin’ pretty sharp. I didn’t jog much because I could tell I didn’t have my orthotics in (you can really tell a difference – my arch felt very vulnerable), so I mostly walked at a fast pace and added an incline to make it a little more challenging.

I made it to my meeting and ate an apple to hold me over. After the two-hour meeting we had a happy hour from 5-7:30. I ate one each of five hors d’oeuvres and counted them as 10 points. I think some were three points, but a few were just one, so I think 10 is a fair assessment. Then I came home and had some spicy corn on the cob soup that I made while working from home on Friday. It was pretty low in points so I managed to squeeze in a PB&J snack too! I ended up going over by one point, but I didn’t snack at all today, which was my main goal. Those hors d’oeuvres threw me off my game a bit though. I hadn’t planned them into my day and I’m not sure that I analyzed the food enough to get an accurate PP value.

As for my weigh-in, I unofficially weighed myself on my scale this morning and lost .5 pounds.  I went to work and recorded that in eTools, but then I weighed myself at the gym and that scale said I gained 2.5 pounds. Bummer. But, it’s all unofficial, so I’m just gonna do my best in the next two weeks and see how the WW scale reacts at my next official weigh-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment