Friday, July 29, 2011

5K and Kale

I’m getting ready for my first 5K tomorrow. Eee! I’m pretty excited. I’m going to jog some, but won’t push it since I have to go twice the distance I normally do when I walk/jog on my own. I haven’t run at all this week because I didn’t want to put any undue stress on my foot before the 5K, but boy am I anxious to run on the treadmill again! Maybe next time I can run for 3.5 minutes! A girl can dream.
I’ve been lightly researching the preparation for 5Ks. A few websites I found said to eat beforehand, but eat a few hours beforehand so the food has time to start digesting. So, I’m going to get up at 7 a.m. (the race starts at 9) and have some coffee and an egg sandwich. That should give me enough protein and complex carbs to stay energized during the race. The consensus is more carbs and protein after the race, too. I don’t think this really pertains to me since I’ll be mostly walking, but it’s good to know for when I become a legit runner to be reckoned with.
I know I mentioned this in a previous blog, but I’ve been researching triathlons lately and found one that I am going to participate in next fall (2012). It’s the Danskin Triathlon and there is one in New Jersey, which is the closest one to me. I’m willing to travel further for one (they have one in Massachusetts!), but the bike trail in NJ is flat, which is a plus. Another plus: it’s all women! They even have a training schedule posted on the site, which I will use to prepare closer to the event. I’ll have to keep checking the site so I don’t miss registration.
Lastly, I finally did something with that kale. I made kale chips, like Bethany suggested. They were delicious and easy like your mom. They really absorbed the seasoning though, so next time I’ll take it easy in that area. I’ve been coming into work a little early for the past three days in order to make up for my early departure on Monday (Clay’s garage flooded). It’s starting to wear on me. My head feels heavy. My eyes feel heavy. My arms can barely press the keys on the keyboard. Ok, so that’s a little dramatic, but I am tired. I signed up for a spinning class tonight but am hoping to catch a quick nap beforehand.
Next time we talk, I will have completed my first official 5K. Godspeed, my friend(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment