Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weigh-in and Clipless Pedals Revisited

When I stepped on the scale this morning and saw a 1-pound gain, I thought, “hey, it’s a gain, but it’s no 3.6-pound gain.” This calmed me a little. As far as maintaining until this semester is over, I think I’ve done a pretty good job of it what with all the yo-yoing.
Then I plugged in my weight into the WW Weight Manager and my PP value, which had dropped to 31 PP last week, went back up to 32 PP. Not this again! I had such a hard time going from 33 PP to 32 PP that I volleyed back and forth between the two for weeks. Looks like I’ll be doing that again. You wouldn’t think 1 measly PointsPlus would be that big of a deal, but apparently it is. I guess I just try to get the most bang for my buck (using that cliché broke my heart a little bit) in the area of food, so taking away 1 PP is enough to throw my balance off. I need to suck it up and adjust though, because I will only be losing more PPs with each additional pound I lose.
But let’s move on to brighter crayons, shall we? I’ve been long overdue for an update on my clipless pedals. I purchased them. And I love them. I got these Shimanos (and I got a 15% discount because of where I work!):
http://www.gadgetgrid.com/2010/07/09/shimano-pd-m324-cliplessclip-pedals/

I have yet to use them on my outdoor bicycle, but they work on the spinning bikes at work and also on the spinning bikes at the Y. My feet still go numb after 45 minutes or so, but I have so much more power with which to pedal. I always knew you could cash in on the upstroke when you had clips, but I never realized how beneficial that is. We were doing a standing climb (stand on the bike, put the resistance as high as you can stand it, and pedal for however long the instructor tells you to – it’s hard to do and wears you out quickly) and toward the end of the climb, when I should have been keeling over (and I nearly was, mind you), I was still pedaling faster than I ever had in a climb. Because I was using both legs to simultaneously push down AND pull up. Man, am I a champion or what?!
It’s bike season. Oh yes it is. Clay and I are already planning our first long, overnight ride (we don’t ride all night; we ride all day, get a hotel, then ride all day again). We’re leaning toward the Pine Creek Trail near the PA Grand Canyon. It’s all uphill, but if we do the uphill first, it will be all downhill on the way back. I think a long bike ride is just what I need to shake off some pounds. What outdoor activity are you looking forward to doing this spring?

Weight loss this week: +1 pound
Total weight loss: 39.6 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment